Monday, May 04, 2009

Life's Purpose...?

Maybe I've too much time on my hands or maybe I'm just bored with studying and needed to think about something other than reserves, pricing, solvency capital requirements etc for a change...

Or maybe I'm at the crossroads of my life where I'm beginning to take stock of my life.

What have I achieved? What do I lack? What do I need to do? What should I do? And most important of all... Am I happy and content with my life?

Difficult questions... for which I don't know the answer.

No boyfriend/ husband/ children... Is that a failure on my part?

At the same time, I also wonder... is it really necessary?!

Sure, the upside of it is that I won't end up alone when I grow old and grey, but who's to say they will still be around then? :) There's always the downside of marrying someone totally wrong and you end up unhappy with your life.

So why are we here... alive on this earth? The idea of evolution really amazes me... How our ancestors were apes who roamed this earth. But have we questioned: Why were they here in the first place?! What was their purpose on this earth? To give birth to the next generation? To do what?

We live our lives day by day... but what do we all ultimately achieve in the end? For those who believe in God and his creation of all life on this earth, I'm sure you have your answers ready. But is that all? Is our purpose just to spread the word of God and gain divine immortality and live our after-lives in heaven? What then?

So many questions... so few answers...

6 Comments:

At 15 May, 2009 15:16, Blogger Yew-Syarawi said...

He's out there somewhere and when the time is right, it'll happen. In the meantime, try to focus on yourself and make the most of this "me" time.

 
At 16 May, 2009 00:37, Blogger Sum said...

Thanks cuz! Definitely enjoying my 'me' time. There's a level of freedom that I don't think I'm willing to give up for anyone at the moment. :P

 
At 27 May, 2009 09:23, Blogger Cornelius said...

Please allow this old man to share a bit about relationship.

There is no such thing as "level of freedom", my dear Sum. "Freedom" is hard to give up, no matter what kind and what level. I think you need to start getting used to that idea. There will never be a time when you are "ready" to concede your "freedom".

It's quite often that when anyone gets into a relationship, he will find that he has to make a lot of sacrifices - he has to give up a lot of his "freedom". He will feel that it's always him who has to give more into the relationship. And when you talk to the other party, you will find that she, too, feels exactly the same way!

"How come it's always ME who has to give in?"

You will feel that the other party does not give as much as you do. The truth is that both have to give in. Be prepared for the possibility that you have to surrender a lot of freedom. Know that the other party has to do the same thing too. Don't expect to get it your way all the time.

If you are lucky, you get someone who has a lot in common with you; hence you have lots of common grounds, i.e. more to agree rather than disagree about.

What's on the surface is only temporary. The beauty, the sexy figure - they will fade and won't last forever. You will then need more than those to continue.

It all seems such an uphill task to have a relationship. Too many sacrifices to make; too much freedom to give away. But trust me, Sum, when you get the right one - and ONLY when you find the right one - it's really worth it!

 
At 11 December, 2009 05:21, Blogger Travel Gourmande said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11 December, 2009 05:45, Blogger Travel Gourmande said...

This question had been lingering on my mind too. Usually, what would lead us to our purpose is to do what makes us happy, to live, to grow and become the best version of ourselves. Another source of happiness and sense of purpose is when we are able to share our uniqueness and gifts bestowed to us in this lifetime with others whether we do it alone or with someone by our side.

 
At 16 May, 2010 03:35, Blogger gjheran said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home